Saturday, 6 December 2008

Long Shadows

It was a lovely crisp day today. We went to the park and kicked a ball around. Even at 12.24 pm(the time at which this picture was taken with my trusty blackberry camera), the shadows were long. Winter days are shorter in St. Albans than in Chappaqua. The sun never gets as high in the sky. The shadows are longer, earlier. This is because London is on the same latitude as Calgary in Canada. There is no part of the US, outside Alaska, that is as 'high up' the earth as London. And St. Albans is a little north of London.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How can it possibly be that the days are shorter there than here? Why, just the other day, I got up, showered and by the time I was dressed the sun had gone down and it was time for bed again. The whole day was 16 minutes long. Now that I think of it, maybe I got the kids to school and went to work or something silly like that, but I swear it's light out for a very short time here....how does Jill get anything done with such short days?

On the other hand, I like that my shadow is taller in St. Albans. Does that mean I'm thinner there? I've been meaning to add some height to offset my added width. What a good idea...can't wait to come visit and say hello to my newer, thinner shadow....

I do hate having so little sunlight, really....

Kym