Friday, 17 October 2008

Geoff's Speech

I did not seek to give this short address and when Anna telephoned me I was initially hesitant but quickly realised I was flattered to be asked to pay a tribute to Michael: I always called him Michael.

We first met about 15 years ago by chance at the Golf Club down the road at Knebworth. We teamed up that day and since then Michael, Roy Shepperd, John Allen my wife Jenny and I played variously together twice a week. So that gave ample time for Michael and me to get to know one another. I know that he would have preferred me to have taken the game more seriously and he would also have preferred a more competitive element. But I have seen how golf can somehow get under the skin and I would not budge. I’m sorry Michael. It was no big deal between us and there was no rancour whatever. Christian and Anna – you may be please to hear also that never ever did so much as a penny change hands as a result of our golf.

In the event none of us, except Jenny perhaps, ever improved much at the game.

I quickly learnt that Michael had a certain gravitas about him which I lack. But we formed a friendship: not close, but one of mutual respect and fondness I believe. I learned about Christian and Anna and met Joan his wife and saw first-hand the fearful jolt the loss of her gave him. Tragically he had had some experience of having to cope.

I learnt also of his interest in bridge at which he was able to exercise his competitive bent. Not without success. I would think bridge suited Michael or was it that Michael suited bridge ?

As the years passed and an arthritic hip, a cluster of heart by-passes and in Michael’s case Parkinson’s disease chose us, 18 holes became 9 and mechanised transport was adopted to carry our clubs and sometimes Michael as well. Then absences from the course were not uncommon. But we continued to meet regularly at the club for a natter over coffee. Michael enjoyed the company although he was not naturally a gregarious man.

Roy Shepperd and John Allen and their wives were especially kind to him and entertained him to supper on occasions. Michael keenly took us all out for a meal by way of thanks.

Eventually his health deteriorated more and he felt unable to play golf. He was reluctant to talk much about his condition but throughout our association I found Michael had a dignity, decency, straight-forwardness and innate sense of fair play in all things which singled him out as a loyal and good friend.

But these last two weeks or so I have learnt that it was not only those qualities with which Michael was blessed.

He was also a courageous and special man.

No comments: