Monday, 16 June 2008

The Quaker House

I decided to go to the Quaker Meeting House. I have wanted to go for a while. Partly because it is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, buildings in Chappaqua but mainly because I was interesting in going to a Quaker meeting. I had been going occasionally to the Congregational Church where Charlie goes to nursery school but inspite of a absolutely brilliant sermons by the priest and the stillness of the short periods for reflection, I was getting a little bored of all the other 'stuff'. I knew Quakerism put some emphasis on personal reflection in the meetings so I stopped in one day on a cycle ride to ask a couple of questions. I liked the answers and thought I might like to go to a meeting. There is no alter as such, and no obvious 'preist', and very little other' stuff'. The benches are laid our in a rectangluar shape, with no obvious 'head' of the room. At the first meeting I attended we sat in silence for almost 50 minutes before anyone said anything. It was both very liberating and disciplined. I liked it.

No comments: